These are the job openings in the region that we have been made aware of. Please contact the offering organization for more detials.
This is a NYS civil service position and requires certification with a Masters degree. This is a PEF (Public Employee Federation) union represented job. Interested candidates can search the PEF contract for benefits and pay scale. Senior Librarian salary ranges from $59,000 to $75,000.
Interested candidates should contact Victoria Barber at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 518-483-6040 ext.4000.
Post expires on Monday May 14th, 2018
Penfield Library at the State University of New York at Oswego invites applications for the position of Acquisitions Librarian. We seek someone who will provide strong leadership and vision for the acquisition of library materials at a medium-sized academic library undergoing exciting organizational and technological change. The successful applicant will be part of a team of librarians who promote research, teaching, and learning through a strong liaison program to academic programs.
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. For complete information about the position and application procedures, visit our website at https://oswego.
Post expires on Tuesday May 15th, 2018
Post expires on Monday May 7th, 2018
Want to make your mark on a library in transition? How about becoming part of the nation’s largest comprehensive university system, working with librarians at sister SUNY institutions to achieve more than any library can alone? Penfield Library at SUNY Oswego is looking for an Associate Director who can help us increase our impact.
- In collaboration with Library Director, encourage and oversee library innovation and initiatives, including technology in support of librarianship, teaching, and scholarship.
- Provide vision and leadership for the initiatives of library units providing end-user access to materials, including access services, resource sharing, acquisitions, and cataloging. This includes supervising personnel and unit operations, as well as overseeing the collections budget.
- Engage in educational opportunities to increase awareness and understanding of diversity and inclusion.
- Assist with library assessment efforts, in support of institutional priorities.
Post expires on Friday May 4th, 2018
St. Lawrence University invites applications to be our Discovery Services Librarian. The Libraries & Information Technology (LIT) division of St. Lawrence University provide resources, services, and facilities in support of the university’s educational mission. The working environment is collaborative and cooperative, technologically rich, and extensive in resources and services provided. The Discovery Services Librarian is responsible for planning, managing, supporting, and evaluating a range of library systems including but not limited to the web discovery platform, Integrated Library System (ILS), and other operational activities and initiatives.
Discovery Services Librarian Responsibilities:
- Provides leadership and support for all aspects of the implemented web discovery platform, ILS, and other related library systems.
Stays current with new technologies as applied to digital library platforms and works with appropriate LIT staff to implement upgrades and new technologies.
- Works with the Collection Development and Acquisitions Librarian regarding configuration and operational support for acquisitions and resources management functions within the Library’s ILS.
- Works with the Director of Digital Initiatives on technology platforms supporting the library and our digital collections.
- Provides support, documentation, and training to other Librarians and staff working with component parts of the supported library systems as needed.
- Stays current with developments in cataloging, bibliographic description and subject analysis, metadata standards.
- Works with external vendor support personnel and with colleagues from other academic institutions on consortia projects and initiatives.
- Evaluates with other librarians the effectiveness and efficiencies of existing library platforms/systems in support of desired configuration, layout, and design of library web resources.
- Participates in instruction and research services to gain further insight into users’ practical experience with library discovery tools.
General Library Faculty Responsibilities:
- Participates in LIT and Library planning initiatives and in establishing and evaluating goals, objectives, and priorities.
- Hires, trains, supervises and evaluates any staff that may report to the position.
- Serves on university-wide committees, task forces, or study groups as desired or needed.
- An ALA-accredited MLS/MLIS degree or equivalent graduate degree and relevant experiences.
- Experience with managing ILS and discovery platforms.
- Experience with the Innovative Interfaces, Inc. ILS (Sierra).
- Experience working with other applications, systems, and tools, for example, Illiad, OCLC Services, Ebscohost, or Serials Solutions (ProQuest).
- Practical familiarity with cataloging and metadata structures and relevant tools for data manipulation.
- Familiarity with trends in scholarly communication.
- Experience working in an academic library is desired, an academic library in a small liberal arts college is a plus.
- Staff supervisory, training, and development experience (library assistants and student workers).
Follow this link to apply: https://employment.stlawu.edu/postings/1469
Post expires on Wednesday May 30th, 2018
The Syracuse University Libraries wish to hire a Temporary Rare Book Cataloging Librarian.
Under the direction of the Head of Acquisitions and Cataloging, the Temporary Rare Book Cataloging Librarian will assist in original and copy cataloging and processing projects for the Special Collections Research Center of the Syracuse University Libraries. The Temp. Librarian will have experience with MARC format, RDA, LCSH, other LC vocabularies as needed, LC Classification, and other relevant standards. Position requires knowledge of OCLC Connexion and the Voyager Cataloging Module. Additional projects will require experience with Excel and Google Sheets.
Temporary Librarian will need to possess a keen attention to detail as well as a good sense of judgment and time management skills. Working knowledge of German is necessary.
· Master’s degree in Library or Information Science (ALA accredited), or equivalent combination of education and experience.
· 2 years of rare book cataloging experience.
· Working knowledge of German.
Job Specific Qualifications
· Significant and substantial background in the Humanities.
· Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
· Familiarity with RDA, LCSH, the MARC format, and other relevant standards.
· Knowledge of bibliographic utility such as OCLC Connexion.
· Knowledge of library and standard office software programs.
· Familiarity with LC classification.
· Provides original and copy cataloging of rare book materials.
· Ensures that work adheres to both local and national guidelines and standards, keeping abreast of developments in RDA, the MARC format, and other standards as applicable.
· Stays current with emerging standards and trends in rare book cataloging.
· Assists with inventory and processing projects for Special Collections as needed.
· Engages in activities that contribute to the advancement of the Libraries, the university, and the library profession including, for example, actively participating on a team, committee, or special project; chairing or organizing a workshop, conference, or other professional events; teaching (excluding library instruction sessions or other teaching activities that are explicit job duties); professional consulting; conference discussant, publishing; conducting research that results in a publication or conference presentation.
· Maintains awareness of professional developments, issues, and practices through research and activities that increase one’s knowledge and abilities, and that positively impact one’s performance and service contributions. Examples of activities include participation in a workshop, webinar or conference that result in the acquisition of new knowledge or skills; completion of a credit course pertaining to the employee’s position; completion of an internship or other practical training.
For complete description and application procedures, see: https://www.sujobopps.com/postings/72638
Post expires on Wednesday April 25th, 2018