These are the job openings in the region that we have been made aware of. Please contact the offering organization for more details.
Master’s degree in librarianship from a library school that is accredited by the American Library Association or recognized by the New York State Education Department as following accepted education practices and two years of professional library experience subsequent to MLS.
(Some universities have renamed their programs and no longer designate the degree as a Masters in Librarianship. Contact the New York State Library’s Division of Library Development for assistance.)
SPECIAL REQUIREMENT: Eligibility for a New York State Public Librarian’s professional certificate at time of application; possession of certificate at time of appointment.
Education, Experience, and Training:
- The library shall employ as director only persons who hold the public librarian’s professional or provisional certificate or a certificate of qualification in Library Science.
- A minimum of three years’ experience preferred as a librarian in an increasingly responsible supervisory and/or administrative position. Applicants must have a minimum of one year experience in the capacity as a supervisor. Substantial experience in public services and dealing with the public.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Administers board policies, makes policy recommendations to board.
- Prepares budget for Library Board approval, monitors and approves expenditures.
- Supervises personnel directly or through subordinates.
- Administers maintenance of library facilities and equipment.
- Reviews and approves selection of all materials for purchase.
- Participates in professional meetings, classes, conferences, and workshops.
- Reads professional materials to update and maintain knowledge and skills.
- Accountable for all activities, programs and services.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of the theories, principles, and objectives of library science and library organization theories and current trends and developments in the library field.
- Knowledge of and experience with effective participative management techniques.
- Thorough knowledge of library reference sources, print and online.
- Considerable knowledge of online automation.
- Working knowledge of budgetary and accounting processes of the department.
- Ability to plan, organize, supervise, and evaluate the work of employees in diversified library activities.
- Broad experience in collection development and programming.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and harmonious working relationships with employees, other agencies, and the general public.
- Ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing.
Salary and Benefits:
- Position: Full-Time 40 hours per week.
- Salary: commensurate with education and experience.
- Benefits: Vacation and sick days; Health Insurance.
- Specific terms of employment to be negotiated.
Statement of Non-Discrimination:
The Oswego Public Library grants equal employment opportunities to all qualified persons without regard to an individual’s age, sex, color, religion, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, handicapped status, or sexual orientation. The library complies with all federal and state regulations dealing with employment.
Instructions to Applicants:
Interested individuals meeting the qualifications should email Catherine Santos, the Vice President of the Board of Trustees:
- a cover letter, resume, and a list of three references; and
- the Application for Examination or Employment, City of Oswego Department of Personnel form. The link for the application form is: https://www.oswegony.org/work/application-rev0119
Clinton Essex Franklin Library System is seeking to hire a person to fill the position of Administrative Assistant. This is a full time competitive civil service position. Clinton Essex Franklin Library System is a small non-profit started in 1954. Our objective is to foster and improve public library services to the residents of the System area. We are a Quasi-State Agency and serve libraries, reading centers, correctional facilities, senior housings, and county jails in the three-county area.
Administrative Assistant duties include but are not limited to, reviewing and verifying information on abstracts, vouchers, etc.; taking and transcribing Board Meeting minutes; evaluates and makes recommendations to Department Head for needed equipment and supplies; and performs related work necessary for the efficient execution of administrative functions for the entity.
The salary range is $30,000.00 to $45,000.00 depending on qualifications and experience. Benefits include accrued sick, personal, and vacation time off, health, vision, and life insurance. Other benefits include, New York State Retirement, Cafeteria 125 program, and Fidelity Investment 403B. Hours of operation are 8:00 am to 4:00 pm and the regular work week is 37.5 hours. Occasionally, work outside of the regular hours is required.
A thorough knowledge of principles and practices of office management, including a knowledge of personnel methods and procedures, organization, reporting and communication, and sound judgement.
Minimum qualifications: Clinton, Franklin, Essex resident, high school or equivalent high school diploma with at least 2-6 years of administrative or program management experience with a public agency or private business. Please send resume and 3 letters of recommendation to Michael Spofford, Finance Manager at or to his attention through regular mail at 33 Oak Street, Plattsburgh NY 12901. Resumes, cover letters, and letters of recommendation received by November 13, 2020 will be given priority consideration.
Post expires on Monday November 30th, 2020