These are the job openings in the region that we have been made aware of. Please contact the offering organization for more detials.
The Clinton Essex Franklin Library System is currently seeking qualified applicants for the position of Librarian I.
Under the supervision of the Automation and Technical Services Librarian, the Librarian I will assist in cataloging, acquisitions and training for the library system.
Education, Preparation, and Training
- Master’s Degree in Librarianship (MLS) from a library school that is accredited by the American Library Association or recognized by the New York State Education Department; AND possession of, or eligibility for a New York State Public Librarian’s Professional Certificate
- Basic knowledge of library vocabularies, standards, and schemas such as RDA, AACR2, and MARC.
- Effective oral and written communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
- Ability to speak to small groups and effectively train people to use technology.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
- Ability to manage projects effectively, with attention to detail.
- Ability to use technology, including Microsoft Office, integrated library systems and web interfaces.
- Performs copy cataloging with the goal of making library materials accessible to all residents.
- Assists with interlibrary loan.
- Provides vacation backup for other department members, including unpacking delivery boxes, changing backup tapes, providing basic phone assistance to member libraries on the ILS (Horizon).
- Manages collection development of a portion of the library system collection.
- Assists with and provides library technology-related training to member library staff.
- Contributes articles and information to library system website and other digital media.
- Performs other duties as assigned by supervisors.
- Extensive use of computers.
- Extensive time sitting and standing.
- Travel to sites in Clinton, Essex and Franklin Counties may be required, therefore a valid New York State Driver’s license is required.
About the Clinton-Essex-Franklin Library System: The Library System (www.cefls.org) is a non-profit federated public library system serving the residents of Clinton, Essex and Franklin Counties, chartered by the New York State Department of Education. We serve a population of approximately 173,000 and have a staff of 9 full time and 4 part-time employees. CEFLS serves 30 member public libraries, 3 reading centers and a number of correctional facilities and senior living facilities.
Compensation: This is an entry-level, Civil Service position, represented by CSEA; appointment will be provisional pending a Civil Service training and experience exam. Residency has been waived. Minimum salary upon appointment will be $47,229 (Step 1). The work week is 37.5 hours. Benefits package includes medical and NYS Retirement System pension plan.
To Apply: Interested candidates should apply with cover letter and resume via email to Interim System Director Betsy Brooks at firstname.lastname@example.org. All applications will be kept confidential. References will be requested of finalists, only.
If you are enthusiastic, customer-service driven, enjoy working in a collaborative environment, and dedicated to public library service, we invite you to apply.
Deadline: To ensure consideration for this position, please apply by July 3, 2018.
Post expires on Wednesday July 4th, 2018
Status: Full time, year-round (10-month equivalent), exempt, faculty appointment with administrative responsibilities.
Description: We are seeking candidates for the position of Student Success Librarian. Paul Smith’s College is a small private college nestled in the beautiful Adirondack Park among forests and lakes that offer recreational opportunities and vibrant community events in all four seasons. The Joan Weill Adirondack Library at Paul Smith’s College Library is a central hub of campus, and it is widely praised and very well utilized by our community. The library staff is a small, nimble, collaborative group that is student-centered and dedicated to delivering excellent services that fulfill the mission of the college. We are seeking a creative, ambitious team player who is excited about the mission of academic libraries and seeks to advance the library in support of our strategic plan.
This position works collaboratively across campus while providing leadership that creates opportunities for student outreach, engagement and learning, both inside and outside of the library. The Student Success Librarian will work to provide vision and leadership to develop the information literacy curriculum and assessment and deliver in-class instruction and resources to help our students achieve their academic goals. Extensive interaction with students is a major component of this position.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Leads information literacy instruction and management of the information literacy program, including coordinating the distribution of instruction sessions among faculty librarians.
- Teaches a substantial share of the library’s instruction sessions and creates reusable instructional materials (lesson plans, tutorials, modules, etc.).
- Manages thriving student worker program to encourage career readiness in student employees and assist library technician in student worker management.
- Designs innovative ways of integrating library resources and services into the daily lives of students.
- Creates student learning outcomes and assessment materials.
- Partners with other departments, committees, and student groups on campus to create initiatives that foster student success.
- Creates educationally and institutionally relevant programs and events.
- Maintains a deep knowledge of current and emerging trends, issues, and best practices in academic library outreach, instruction, information access, and assessment. Actively identifies relevant initiatives for local implementation.
- Provides proactive, user-centered service to library users.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- MLIS degree from an American Library Association accredited library program. Academic and/or Secondary/Post-secondary teaching experience preferred.
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite and web editing software. Experience with LMS such as Canvas. Experience using ILS software such as SirsiDynix Symphony and image editing software such as Photoshop preferred.
- Ability to integrate electronic information into all aspects of reference and library instruction services and a strong familiarity with academic resources.
- Demonstrated experience in marketing is a plus.
- Interest in working with patrons in one-on-one and group situations.
- Strong personal service philosophy and solid interpersonal and communication skills.
- Willingness to share the varied workload of a small college in a team atmosphere.
- Ability to carry 25 lbs. 300 yards and/or up 3 flights of stairs.
- A self-motivated, positive attitude is absolutely essential.
- Ability to work evening and weekend hours.
Anticipated Start Date: August 27, 2018
Paul Smith’s College values diversity in the College community and seeks to assure equal opportunity through its continued Affirmative Action program. EOE/AA/M/F/D/V
Post expires on Thursday August 30th, 2018
This is a NYS civil service position and requires certification with a Masters degree. This is a PEF (Public Employee Federation) union represented job. Interested candidates can search the PEF contract for benefits and pay scale. Senior Librarian salary ranges from $59,000 to $75,000. Interested candidates should contact William Harford at William.email@example.com or call 518-236-7841 ext. 4000.
Post expires on Tuesday June 19th, 2018
The Fulton Public Library is currently seeking highly qualified applicants for the position of Library Director.
Reporting directly to the Board of Trustees, the Library Director is responsible for overseeing all aspects of Library operations to efficiently and effectively serve the public needs. We are seeking a candidate with strong communication skills and progressively responsible library service.
Duties of the Position: The Library Director will act as head of a library serving a population of 7,500 to 15,000. The Library Director is responsible for recommending library services and evaluating their effectiveness; administering the personnel and public relations program; supervising the expenditure of library funds and the maintenance of library buildings and grounds. Typical tasks include selecting of books and materials; performing reference services; compiling book lists and bibliographies; cataloging and classifying; and attending professional meetings.
Minimum Qualifications: Master’s Degree in Librarianship (MLS) from a library school that is accredited by the American Library Association or recognized by the New York State Education Department; AND possession of, or eligibility for a New York State Public Librarian’s Professional Certificate.
Candidates must first complete a civil service examination application and return it to the City of Fulton Personnel Office on or before the last filing date of May 18, 2018.
Approved candidates will be sent a notice containing directions to a website address needed to complete a Training and Experience Questionnaire.
The Training and Experience Questionnaire will be available on June 1, 2018 and approved candidates will be required to complete and submit this questionnaire between June 1, 2018 and midnight, June 30, 2018.
For a complete description of the position, and to apply for the examination, visit:
Post expires on Saturday June 30th, 2018
This is a NYS civil service position and requires certification with a Masters degree. This is a PEF (Public Employee Federation) union represented job. Interested candidates can search the PEF contract for benefits and pay scale. Senior Librarian salary ranges from $59,000 to $75,000.
Interested candidates should contact Victoria Barber at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 518-483-6040 ext.4000.
Post expires on Friday June 22nd, 2018