Position: Library Technician
Status: Regular Full-time, Non-Exempt, 12-month
Department: Joan Weill Adirondack Library
Reports to: Director of Library Services
Description: The Library Technician provides customer service support to library patrons and assists staff with administrative duties of the library. Specific duties from the list of responsibilities below will be assigned to each of two Library Technician positions based on the skills and experience of each technician.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve as receptionist, providing excellent customer service and assistance as necessary.
- Assist students and other library patrons with basic information retrieval and computer needs.
- Train and supervise student employees.
- Monitor and fulfill Interlibrary Loan requests.
- Copy catalog new materials as directed by the Cataloging and Electronic Resources Librarian and compare collection against Online Computer Library Center.
- Serve as periodicals assistant: this includes tasks such as checking in, processing, displaying, compiling bindery orders, and filing claims with vendors.
- Process all library orders and payments, and maintain account records.
- Manage circulation desk: this includes overdue notifications, processing overdue materials, administering fines and lost materials charges.
- Prepare newly purchased books for circulation.
- Assist librarians with displays and preparation of signage.
- Follow opening and closing procedures when on duty.
- Feed and water library plants when college is not in session.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Associate’s degree required, Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Library experience preferred.
- Supervisory experience in a customer service environment preferred.
- Computer competency, including word processing, spreadsheet, and internet technology skills are required.
- Excellent organizational and office management skills, including the ability to multi-task.
- Ability to work productively and cooperatively with co-workers and library patrons, including faculty and students.
- Ability to work evening and weekend hours.
- Reliable transportation.
- Ability to lift and carry 30 lbs. for 100 feet and walk up and down two flights of stairs 3 times in 15 minutes.
Applicants must submit a letter of intent, resume, and contact information for three professional references. Electronic submissions are strongly encouraged and must be sent in PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Mailing address: Human Resources, Paul Smith’s College, PO Box 265, Paul Smiths, NY 12970. Faxed to: (518) 327-6161
Paul Smith’s College values diversity in the College community and seeks to assure equal opportunity through its continued Affirmative Action program. EOE/AA/M/F/D/V