The North Country Library System (NCLS) is looking for a creative library professional with solid gold customer service skills to join our Consulting and Outreach department. Our cooperative system provides guidance and support to 65 libraries in Northern New York, while coordinating partnerships and initiatives that move library service forward in our region. It’s a lot of ground to cover – both literally and figuratively – but we are propelled by our mission and a strong team spirit.
The Youth Services and Outreach Consultant plays a unique role in our department, coordinating our most public-facing projects and initiatives. They facilitate collaboration among member libraries, build relationships with community partners, and are always thinking of ways to make connections. They provide the extra hand that our primarily small and rural libraries may require when it comes to providing service beyond the walls of the library or reaching underserved populations.
NCLS is located along the Black River in Watertown, New York, centrally located in our four-county service area. Our region enjoys four distinct seasons (some more prominent than others #winter) and is a paradise for outdoorsy types. We’re just a short drive from the many cultural offerings in Syracuse such as the Everson Museum of Art and Syracuse Stage, and larger metropolitan areas in both the US and Canada are within a days’ travel.
Youth Services & Outreach:
- Build and maintain effective working relationships with member library staff and trustees through site visits and regular communication
- Manage the system’s Coordinated Outreach program and services to correctional facilities
- Plan and implement regional youth services programs and initiatives, such as Battle of the Books program and Talking is Teaching early literacy campaign
- Participate in public-facing outreach opportunities, such as fairs and festivals
- Participate in regional and statewide youth and outreach councils
- Keep youth services staff up to date with trends in literature and programming for all ages
- Establish and foster partnerships with community organizations, especially those that serve youth and underserved populations
- Purchase children’s and young adult ebooks for our regional OverDrive collection
- Promote NCLS services and initiatives through a variety of media
- Advise member libraries on multiple aspects of library operations, such as policies and best practices, planning, funding, and administration
- Provide new library directors and trustees with an orientation of system services
- Develop continuing education classes, toolkits, and other resources
- Participate in local, regional, and statewide funding advocacy efforts
- MLS or MLIS from ALA accredited library school
- NYS Public Librarian’s Professional Certificate
- At least 5 years relevant library experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines
- An interest in promoting library service in small rural public libraries
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule to meet the needs of member libraries
- Valid New York State Driver’s License
- 2+ years supervisory experience
- Experience building and maintaining community partnerships
- Knowledge of childrens, teen and/or family library services
- Willingness to keep up with emerging technologies
- Ability to present information to learners of all skill levels
- Experience with WordPress and LibGuides
Annual Salary and Benefits: Salary range: $52,000 – $57,000 commensurate with experience, plus a generous benefits package that includes membership in the NYS Employee Retirement System, health insurance, and supplemental insurance options.
NCLS also provides annual membership to the New York Library Association and supports active participation in professional associations.
Application Instructions: To apply for this position please submit a cover letter, resume, three references and employment application to firstname.lastname@example.org<mailto:proes@nc
NCLS is an AA/EEO Employer. NCLS has a strong commitment to the principles of diversity and inclusion and to maintaining working and learning environments that are free from all forms of discrimination. Women, individuals with disabilities, veterans and minorities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Post expires on Friday December 31st, 2021