Keeseville Free Library seeks a Library Director. The full-time position is 35 hours per week and the salary will be based on experience.
The Keeseville Free Library Director is responsible for managing the daily operations of the Library according to policies and regulations established by the Board of Trustees, developing and implementing procedures and programming and overseeing the financial management of the Library within the purview of State Education Law, the Commissioner’s Regulations and the rules and regulations of the Board.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Operates and supervises the Library and provides patron services during established hours of operation. These services include reference, interlibrary loan services, instruction in the use of library resources, and computer assistance.
- Provides for coverage of the library during hours of operation in his/her absence.
- Coordinates library activities, programs and displays, exhibits, and services based on community needs and interest.
- Develops and implements a marketing plan for programs.
- Prepares and submits all required reports.
- Collects and maintains statistical library data.
- Demonstrates a working knowledge of electronic information resources and library management.
- Maintains harmonious relationship and works in an effective manner with patrons, Board Members, organizations and the community.
- Ensures all computer hardware and other library equipment is maintained in good working order.
- Develops changes and improvements in service to meet the needs of the community.
- Pursues and applies for grant money, and administers grant funds upon award.
- Prepares and presents to the Board of Trustees an annual budget based on present and anticipated needs and also an annual budget summary.
- Conducts library operations within the approved budget.
- Maintains complete and accurate records of finances.
- Monitors, oversees and evaluates the cost and adequacy of insurance coverage and makes recommendations to the Library Board
- Prepares annual State Report and submits it on time.
- Purchases and processes appropriate library materials based on reviews of professional selection guides and a solid knowledge of patrons’ reading choices, keeping in mind the goal to provide a wide array of topics.
- Evaluate, weeds and updates the collection on a timely basis.
Community Outreach and Public Relations:
- Ensures the Library maintains good public relationships.
- Represents the Library in a positive and professional manner in the community.
- Promotes the Library to the public.
- Attends relevant System workshops and professional meetings.
- Keeps abreast of current trends in librarianship.
Relationship with the Board:
- Keeps Board informed about the progress of library services and programs as well as any problems encountered.
- Implements Library policies established by the Board.
- Follows up on any issues brought to his/her attention.
- Attend Library Board meetings and serve as a resource for the Board.
- Recommends building projects and repairs to the Board.
- Maintains neatness of public areas including desks, counters, shelves, tables, personal space, and restroom.
- Responsible for cleaning of the Library and snow removal.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to set priorities, make decisions and exercise discretion with patrons.
- Knowledge of computers and the internet.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to handle multiple and simultaneous tasks.
- Ability to develop and implement policies and procedures.
- Ability to keep records accurately.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and orally and to prepare and present reports in the appropriate manner.
- Ability to work the hours needed to complete the responsibilities of the Library Director.
The job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the position. The omission of specific statement of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. The job description does not constitute and employment agreement between Keeseville Free Library and the employee and is subject to change as the needs of the library, and the requirements of the position change. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, the Keeseville Free Library does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability, pregnancy, sexual orientation, political party, or any other status protected by laws or regulation. It is our intention that all qualified applicants are given equal opportunity and the selection decisions be based on job-related factors.
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to 1721 Front Street Keeseville, NY 12944.
Post expires on Thursday December 30th, 2021