The Belden Noble Memorial Library (BNML) is a rural library housed in a historic building in the hamlet of Essex, New York. BNML is one of 30 libraries in the Clinton-Essex-Franklin Library System (CEFLS). BNML holds a unique relationship with the Town of Essex: the Town owns the building and includes a budget line for the Library in its annual budget, but the Library is responsible for raising the remainder of its operating budget. This is accomplished through grants, annual appeals, programs for the public, and fundraising events. BNML depends heavily on volunteers.
Required Skills and Working Conditions:
A Bachelor’s degree and some experience in a library are desirable. The candidate must have a love of reading and must enjoy interacting with people. The candidate must have excellent verbal and written communication skills and competency in the use of technology, especially computers.
This position involves prolonged sitting, moderate lifting, carrying, reaching, stooping, pulling and pushing.
Hours and Wages: The position is for 20 hours per week at $20 per hour.
The Library Director is in charge of the library’s day-to-day operations. The Director represents the library within the community, develops programs in response to community interests, builds collections, implements the library’s budget and works with the Board on strategic planning.
- The Director responds quickly to patrons, develops the collections in response to patrons’ needs, and refers to outside resources and collections as appropriate. The Director assists with library computers, use of the online catalog, and print and media requests.
- The Director is competent in the use of the software program used to process materials, and develops procedures for the purchase of new print, digital, and audio-visual materials. The Director coordinates with CEFLS to provide a rotating collection and to fulfill interlibrary loan requests. The Director evaluates current and donated materials for addition to collection, book sale, or disposal.
- The Director works with the Library Board, local community groups, and others to present programs of interest to patrons of all ages. The Director promotes library programs using the library website, the group email list, printed brochures and flyers, and press releases sent to local newspapers and blogs. The Director creates a bi-annual newsletter for direct mail to patrons.
- The Director assesses the need for and purchases technology for the library, including, computers, printers, copiers and routers. The Director offers basic technical assistance to patrons using the online library catalog and databases. The Director maintains the library website and blog postings.
- The Director trains and supervises volunteers.
- The Director is expected to attend monthly Board Meetings, advising the Board of pertinent issues and giving a monthly report on current goals and library operations. The Director, in cooperation with the Board Treasurer, creates an annual online report for New York State. The Director helps to write grant request and participates in fundraising events.
Post expires on Tuesday November 30th, 2021