The Pulaski Public Library is looking for a dedicated and patron focused individual for the permanent position of Library Director. Pulaski is a community centrally located between Watertown and Syracuse, NY and within five miles of the eastern shore of Lake Ontario. The Library Director reports to the Board of Trustees and has the primary responsibility for the operation and management of the Library. This position has a particular emphasis on patron and community service and, among other duties, will include:
- Administering Board policies and making policy recommendations to the Board.
- Preparing the budget.
- Supervising, hiring, and evaluating personnel as well as training staff and volunteers.
- Accountability for promoting and evaluating activities, programs and services.
- Reviewing and approving selection of all materials for purchase.
- Participating in professional meetings, classes, conferences and workshops.
- Working with elected officials, school officials and civic organizations to promote public relations and community outreach.
- Grant writing.
Preferred Qualifications: A minimum of an associate’s degree or the equivalent amount of college credit (60 hours) is required. A bachelor’s degree or 4 years (full-time equivalent) of library experience is referred. Applicants should have experience in public service and dealing with the public. The ideal candidate will demonstrate flexibility, excellent communication skills, strong technology skills and an appreciation for the importance of public library service in a small community.
The position begins on September 23, 2019, and is based on a 35 hour week with nights and weekends required as needed. Compensation will range between $16.00 – $18.00 per hour based on experience. Benefits include New York State Retirement and medical insurance. Vacation days, sick days, and paid holidays are available. A background check will be conducted.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and the names, addresses, and telephone numbers of three current references to Mr. James Butler, President, Board of Trustees, Pulaski Public Library, 4917 N. Jefferson Street, Pulaski, NY 13142.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the job is filled.