The Potsdam Public Library is searching for a new team member to lead our circulation staff. The role requires a collaborative, tech-fluent, and highly organized person who is dedicated to public service.
- Most importantly, the Circulation Supervisor will interact with patrons, assisting with everything from routine transactions and basic tech help to obscure reference questions. Other duties include:
- Directly supervision and training of circulation staff and pages. Training will include topics like customer service, library policies, technology, and basic reference.
- Creating the desk staff schedule and overseeing the library calendar including our room reservation system.
- Ensuring that upcoming events are communicated through signage (designed by other staff) and that displays and signs are current.
- Creating eye-catching book displays with help from librarians and program coordinators.
- Keeping patron accounts fresh – card renewals and address changes, weeding inactive accounts.
- Encouraging patrons to return overdue items.
- Reviewing and updating desk procedures and related forms.
- Collecting statistics on computer use, door count.
- Organizing and maintaining order behind the circulation desk.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Excellent customer service instincts and communication skills
- Highly organized
- Connected – monitors texts, emails, social media, news
- Tech fluent (patron-facing databases, mobile devices, SIRSI, MS Office and Google Suite, Canva, social media)
- Prior library experience
- Favorable results on the Civil Service exam
Top 10 Qualities of an Ideal Candidate
- Kindness and empathy; treat everyone with courtesy and respect; eye contact, and a smile
- Sense of humor
- Motivated by creativity and public service
- Quick learner
- Self-starter; independent
- Humility; willingness to seek help and collaborate within a team
- Can-do attitude
- Enthusiasm; passionate about customer service, intellectual freedom, community, and culture
- Professional demeanor; excellent written and oral communication skills
- Adept with technology
The Potsdam Public Library values creativity, sustainability, reading for health and well being, support for quality childcare, compassion, and hospitality. We are committed to providing a positive working environment that is nurturing, and a library environment that is family friendly. We are an equal opportunity employer and actively seek to promote diversity and inclusion.
We look forward to meeting you! Interested applicants should email a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Post expires on Tuesday August 20th, 2019