Status: Full time, year-round (10-month equivalent), exempt, faculty appointment with administrative responsibilities.
Description: We are seeking candidates for the position of Student Success Librarian. Paul Smith’s College is a small private college nestled in the beautiful Adirondack Park among forests and lakes that offer recreational opportunities and vibrant community events in all four seasons. The Joan Weill Adirondack Library at Paul Smith’s College Library is a central hub of campus, and it is widely praised and very well utilized by our community. The library staff is a small, nimble, collaborative group that is student-centered and dedicated to delivering excellent services that fulfill the mission of the college. We are seeking a creative, ambitious team player who is excited about the mission of academic libraries and seeks to advance the library in support of our strategic plan.
This position works collaboratively across campus while providing leadership that creates opportunities for student outreach, engagement and learning, both inside and outside of the library. The Student Success Librarian will work to provide vision and leadership to develop the information literacy curriculum and assessment and deliver in-class instruction and resources to help our students achieve their academic goals. Extensive interaction with students is a major component of this position.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Leads information literacy instruction and management of the information literacy program, including coordinating the distribution of instruction sessions among faculty librarians.
- Teaches a substantial share of the library’s instruction sessions and creates reusable instructional materials (lesson plans, tutorials, modules, etc.).
- Manages thriving student worker program to encourage career readiness in student employees and assist library technician in student worker management.
- Designs innovative ways of integrating library resources and services into the daily lives of students.
- Creates student learning outcomes and assessment materials.
- Partners with other departments, committees, and student groups on campus to create initiatives that foster student success.
- Creates educationally and institutionally relevant programs and events.
- Maintains a deep knowledge of current and emerging trends, issues, and best practices in academic library outreach, instruction, information access, and assessment. Actively identifies relevant initiatives for local implementation.
- Provides proactive, user-centered service to library users.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- MLIS degree from an American Library Association accredited library program. Academic and/or Secondary/Post-secondary teaching experience preferred.
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite and web editing software. Experience with LMS such as Canvas. Experience using ILS software such as SirsiDynix Symphony and image editing software such as Photoshop preferred.
- Ability to integrate electronic information into all aspects of reference and library instruction services and a strong familiarity with academic resources.
- Demonstrated experience in marketing is a plus.
- Interest in working with patrons in one-on-one and group situations.
- Strong personal service philosophy and solid interpersonal and communication skills.
- Willingness to share the varied workload of a small college in a team atmosphere.
- Ability to carry 25 lbs. 300 yards and/or up 3 flights of stairs.
- A self-motivated, positive attitude is absolutely essential.
- Ability to work evening and weekend hours.
Anticipated Start Date: August 27, 2018
Paul Smith’s College values diversity in the College community and seeks to assure equal opportunity through its continued Affirmative Action program. EOE/AA/M/F/D/V
Post expires on Thursday August 30th, 2018