Job opportunities currently available throughout the Northern New York Library Network's region:
Madrid-Waddington Central School is accepting applications for the 2013-14 school year. 1.0 FTE tenure track Library Media Specialist, dual Teaching Certification in another area preferred but not obligatory.
To Apply: Application with list of required documents available at www.mwcsk12.org or call 322-5746, ext 221. Mail to Lynn Roy, Superintendent, MWCS PO Box 67 Madrid, NY 13660.
(Posted May 8, 2013)
State University of New York at Oswego seeks a progressive, enthusiastic Associate Library Director to help define the vision for Penfield Library’s future and to lead in developing and enhancing library services and programs. Reporting to the Library Director, the Associate Director will be actively engaged in projects including assessing and improving key services, expanding support for online and global learning experiences, and planning for building renovations.
Specicfics: Review Date: Review of applications will begin May 15, 2013, and will continue until the position is filled. Salary: Commensurate with rank and experience. Date of Appointment: August 1, 2013
Description of Responsibilities: The responsibilities of this position include:
- Serve on the Library Advisory Board and appropriate library and college committees.
- Coordinate library assessment efforts, in support of institutional priorities.
- Coordinate library communications and promotion, including social media and participation on website development team.
- Serve as liaison to student community for building use, service learning experiences, and development of new services.
- Key member of the library renovation team, which includes assisting with planning and oversight of construction projects.
- Liaison to Facilities and Maintenance Departments regarding building management issues.
- Partner with Library Director to develop and oversee library programming, including programs promoting global/multicultural awareness.
- In the absence of the Library Director, responsible for all operations of the library, staff supervision, and representation of the library at college functions.
- In cooperation with librarian supervisors coordinate the hiring and evaluation of classified staff; participate in the hiring and supervision of part-time librarians.
- Serve as liaison to assigned academic departments, with responsibility for subject specialized collection development and/or instruction.
- Participate in Research Help Desk rotation for on-site and electronic reference, including some evening and weekend shifts.
- A Master’s degree in Librarianship/Information Sciences from an ALA accredited program.
- Four years of experience supervising and/or coordinating professional staff, including a strong record of effective project leadership, problem solving skills, and engagement with complex issues in a changing environment.
- Experience in a variety of areas of library operations, including some work in public services (e.g., access services, reference and/or instruction).
- Demonstrated organizational and planning skills.
- Scholarly and/or professional contributions appropriate to level of experience.
- Strong service orientation.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in written word with key constituencies -- including faculty, staff, and students; and the ability to facilitate communication.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with colleagues.
- Experience working effectively with diverse populations.
- Experience working in an academic library.
- Experience with library marketing.
- Experience with assessment efforts.
- Demonstrated ability to maximize the benefits of new technology for librarianship, teaching and scholarship.
- Successful grant writing experience.
To Apply: We accept online applications only. Submit a letter of application addressing qualifications, a curriculum vita, and contact information for three current references electronically to http://oswego.interviewexchange.com/candapply.jsp?JOBID=38750 Official transcripts are required prior to hiring.
Description of Department: Penfield Library is an active partner in the teaching and learning process, connecting members of the SUNY Oswego community with meaningful resources, user-centered services and engaging spaces. The professional staff includes 15 full-time librarians, several part-time adjunct librarians and 15 full-time support staff. Additional information about Penfield Library can be found at www.oswego.edu/library.
(Posted April23, 2013)
The Franklin-Essex-Hamilton BOCES (EO/AAE) located in the Northern Adirondack region of NYS, is currently accepting applications for the following position:Library Media Specialist (.85%)
Qualifications - Interested candidates must at least have their New York State Initial Certification as a Library Media Specialist (LMS) or in a LMS program of study working toward certification.
To Apply - An application may be downloaded at www.fehb.org/employop.htm Interested candidates should forward letter of interest, resume, application, and applicable credentials to: Leslie LaRose, Deputy Superintendent, Franklin-Essex-Hamilton BOCES, Recruitment Service, 23 Huskie Lane, Malone, NY 12953; Tel. (518) 483-6420
(Posted: April 18, 2013)
Library Consultant - The North Country Library System, Watertown, is seeking a Library Consultant. For full details, click here.
General Consultant for 20 – 30 small and medium sized public libraries.
Advise the staff and trustees of public libraries in many aspects of library operations such as policies and best practices, laws and regulations pertaining to public libraries, planning and administration.
Plan and conduct continuing education classes.
Provide new Library Directors and Trustees with orientation of roles and responsibilities, and NCLS services.
Educate library boards about funding and governance options and assist with funding campaigns.
Attend meetings and conferences for professional development.
MLS or MLIS from ALA accredited library school.
At least five years experience in a public library.
Strong communication and writing skills.
Great attention to detail and strong organizational skills.
Ability to manage multiple projects.
Ability to work well under pressure and to meet deadlines.
Valid New York State Driver’s License.
Residence in the Watertown area and willingness to travel widely across the system service area.
Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and Powerpoint.
Desirable Attributes -
Administrative experience in public libraries.
Experience working directly with library trustees and municipalities.
Familiarity with web content management systems such as Drupal.
Familiarity with SIRSI or other ILS.
About the Position - Full Time, 37.5 hours per week, Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 4:30 pm. Occasional evenings and Saturdays as needed for Board/Library meetings. Annual Salary and Benefits: Salary range: $40,692 - $57,132 dependent upon qualifications. Benefits include 15 paid vacation days per year (increases to 20 days after two years of employment); 13 paid sick days per year; 12 paid holidays per year; four day work weeks from June through August; Health insurance plus employer contributions to a personal Health Savings Account; NY State Employee Retirement Plan; supplemental insurance options.
To Apply - Application Period: Applications will be reviewed immediately until position is filled.Submit Cover Letter and Resume to: Paulette Roes, Administrative Assistant, North Country Library System, 22072 CR 190, Watertown, New York 13601-0099. Email: email@example.com.
(Posted March 4, 2013)
Systems and Web Librarian - The Northern New York Library Network seeks a service-oriented and creative individual to manage the Network’s core information systems. The successful candidate will contribute to the continuous improvement of the user experience by integrating new and existing technologies to support research, teaching and learning. The position oversees the library’s regional catalog, supports interlibrary loan technology for both for local and external resources; has responsibility for technical and design aspects of the Network’s web presence. This position includes the development of research resources through digitization of primary source materials. In addition, the successful candidate will take a lead role in the investigation and recommendation of technologies to improve discovery, access, and delivery of digital resources.
Preferred Qualifications - Knowledge of PHP; Experience with Drupal.
Compensation - Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience; excellent medical and retirement benefits; top-quality professional development support.
About the NNYLN - Located in the foothills of the Adirondack Mountains and Adirondack Park, The Northern New York Library Network is a regional multi-type library agency primarily dedicated to cooperatively providing support and services necessary for all of its members to meet their individual goals. The Network serves libraries in the seven counties of Northern New York for the ultimate benefit of the library user.
Apply to - Northern New York Library Network, Potsdam, NY, by emailing resume and supporting materials to: HR@nnyln.org Position open until filled.
(Posted Jan. 29, 2013)
If you are a library in the NNYLN's region and have a job vacancy announcement you would like posted here, please send your information, including CLOSING DATE for applications, to Communications Coordinator Pamela Ouimet at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Other sites for library employment information: