Job opportunities currently available throughout the Northern New York Library Network's region:
Resource Sharing Coordinator (Oswego)
Library Director (Sandy Creek)
Information Literacy Librarian (Potsdam)
Librarian III (Watertown)
Resource Sharing Coordinator
State University of New York at Oswego seeks an energetic, innovative and service-oriented librarian to join Penfield Library as Resource Sharing Coordinator.
Posting Date: March 26, 2015
Review Date: Review of applications will begin May 1, 2015 and will continue until the position is filled.
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience. In addition, the State University of New York provides an excellent benefit package. For more information on benefits for full-time UUP faculty, visit: http://www.suny.edu/benefits/
Date of Appointment: August 17, 2015
Description of Responsibilities: Lead efforts to ensure an efficient, responsive interlibrary loan and document delivery service, and lead active participation in regional (NNYLN), state (IDS, a nationally recognized cooperative), and worldwide lending/borrowing partnerships. Supervise unit staff, and collaborate extensively with librarian colleagues to serve students and faculty studying diverse subject matter on-campus, at off-site locations, and online. Additional responsibilities include participation in reference service and collection development. This is a 12-month tenure track position reporting to the Library Director. The responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Manage and provide leadership for borrowing and lending operations of Penfield Library's Interlibrary Loan Unit (ILL), including goal setting, report preparation, and budgetary oversight.
- Supervise and train unit staff (two full time clerks, student workers and adjunct librarian assistants).
- Oversee and actively participate in ILL request fulfillment.
- Oversee and maintain Custom Holdings.
- Oversee ILL copyright compliance.
- Continuously assess and improve resource sharing policies and procedures.
- Explore, plan, and oversee resource sharing initiatives.
- Handle initial identification and troubleshooting of problems and opportunities regarding ILL software, which currently includes ILLiad and Odyssey.
- Collaborate extensively with a variety of partners, including Penfield Library Coordinators of Library Technology, Collection Development and Access Services, the Distance Learning Librarian, and Resource Sharing librarians at other institutions.
- Serve as liaison to assigned academic departments, with responsibility for subject specialized collection development, and optionally, instruction.
- Participate in Research Help Desk rotation for on-site and virtual reference, including some evening and weekend shifts.
The successful candidate will be expected to display a demonstrated potential for excellence in librarianship, scholarship and service, commitment to undergraduate and/or graduate education, and communication and interpersonal skills sufficient to work effectively with an increasingly diverse array of students and colleagues.
- A Master's degree in Librarianship/Information Sciences from an ALA-accredited institution, or the equivalent from another country, by the time of hire.
- Experience working in the area of Resource Sharing/Interlibrary Loan, including use of Resource Sharing software.
- Supervisory, leadership, and/or project management experience.
- Ability to effectively adapt to and use emerging library technologies and software.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively with colleagues.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Three to five years of relevant library experience.
- Experience with ILLiad, OCLC, and/or Odyssey software.
- Knowledge of the essential components of consortial agreements and copyright.
- Experience with reference service, collection development and/or instruction.
To Apply: Submit a letter of application addressing all required qualifications, a copy of transcripts with conferment date, curriculum vitae, and names and contact information of three current references electronically to:
Questions about the position may be directed to: Marilyn Ochoa, firstname.lastname@example.org
Official transcripts are required prior to hiring.
Library Director, Annie P. Ainsworth Memorial Library
The Board of Trustees is seeking a dynamic and articulate leader who understands the value of public libraries and fosters open communication with the Board of Trustees and the residents to perform professional and administrative duties in planning, developing, implementing and directing public library services. 35 hours per week; some evening and Saturday hours.
Minimum qualifications: not less than 2 academic years of full time study at an approved college or university, a minimum of 2 years experience preferred in a supervisory and/or administrative position, substantial experience in public services and dealing with the public. Some studies in Library Science is preferred. Attend workshops and programs to continue to improve knowledge of current technology and library functions. Excellent organization skills and attention to detail. The desirable candidate should be up-to-date with library and technology trends and will be able to work closely with staff and volunteers to coordinate and run children, teen and adult programming.
Please send resume and cover letter to Ainsworth Memorial Library, PO Box 69, Sandy Creek, NY 13145 or email email@example.com.
Information Literacy Librarian at SUNY Potsdam
SUNY Potsdam seeks a service-oriented, intellectually curious librarian to join our Information Literacy instruction team in support of the learning, research, and outreach needs of the College Libraries community. This is an ideal opportunity for a librarian interested in the blend of tradition and experimentation, and for an individual whose interests lie in joining a small academic library committed to supporting teaching and learning in a dynamic and transparent working environment.
For a full position description and required qualifications, see: https://employment.potsdam.edu/postings/2899
Metadata and Subscription Resources Librarian at SUNY Potsdam
SUNY Potsdam seeks a service-oriented and intellectually curious librarian to serve as Metadata and Subscription Resources Librarian (MSR). Reporting to the Director of Libraries, the MSR Librarian will provide leadership and vision for the Libraries’ management of licensed and subscribed content. As a part of the Collection Development team, and as supervisor to 4 FT Library Clerks, the MSR Librarian will be responsible for licensing, subscribed, and open access content, including access, discovery and maintenance of online and subscription resources. Access will include management of URL resolvers, discovery layers, and other access tools for online resources.
This is an ideal opportunity for an experienced technical services librarian interested in the blending of tradition and experimentation, and for an individual whose interests lie in joining a small academic library committed to supporting teaching and learning in a dynamic and transparent working environment. The successful candidate will be excited by our professional transition away from traditional library cataloging and toward metadata creation in support of print and digital collections, and eager to engage in new opportunities, creative applications of technology, and sustainable project implementation. The MSR Librarian will leverage a strong interest in information users’ values and needs to work with existing traditional cataloging systems in support of the teaching, research, and access needs of the College community.
For a full position description and required qualifications, see: https://employment.potsdam.edu/postings/2900
-----------------------------------If you are a library in the NNYLN's region and have a job vacancy announcement you would like posted here, please send your information, including CLOSING DATE for applications, to Regional Services Librarian Eric Alan, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Other sites for library employment information: