Job opportunities currently available throughout the Northern New York Library Network's region:
Executive Director (New York City)
Library Director (Saranac Lake)
Executive Director, Metropolitan New York Library Council (METRO)
For 50 years, the Metropolitan New York Library Council (METRO) has held a key leadership position and has served as a unique resource, bringing together academic, school, public, hospital, and other specialized libraries and archives in the five boroughs of New York City and Westchester County. METRO serves a diverse network of 250 member organizations which collectively represent more than 1,200 individual libraries, among which are some of the nation’s largest and most prestigious.
METRO is the largest of New York State’s nine reference and research library resource systems (3Rs) and the state’s oldest continuously operating library council. Based in Manhattan, METRO is located in the heart of the country’s most vibrant and diverse center of arts and culture, media, education, and civic life.
Chartered in 1964 by the New York Board of Regents to “promote and facilitate utilization of existing resources and to develop additional library services in the New York metropolitan area,” METRO has strengthened the regional library network, provided a forum for its member libraries to share resources and best practices, promoted professional development, conveyed grants, and delivered services where economies of scale can help libraries operate more efficiently.
The organization has undergone significant progressive change in the last four years, as METRO launched Empire State Digital Network, and an IMLS-funded National Digital Stewardship Residency program. All this comes as the organization is drafting a strategic plan to guide METRO through the next three years, the goals of which include:
- Serve as a catalyst for new collaborative relationships between members and organizations in allied industries
- Support a free and open exchange of ideas within an inclusive, respectful, and creative learning environment
- Foster a culture of leadership within the member community
- Lead, support, and contribute to innovation state and national initiatives
- Model an organizational commitment to openness and resource sharing
Reporting to the Board of Trustees, the Executive Director is responsible for the strategic and operational activities of METRO’s professional staff and programs in service to the organization’s mission and vision.
This search will remain open until the position is filled, but a formal review of applications will begin 3/16/15.
- Develop and sustain programs and services aimed that expand the role and utility of information and knowledge repositories and services in contemporary society
- Lead, mentor, and support professional staff as they provide traditional and innovative programs and services aligned to the organization’s strategic objectives
- Define, create, improve, and deliver critical program services, especially in the areas of open resource sharing and professional development.
- Serve as a liaison between the member community and organizations from adjacent industries; building alliances that reinforce libraries and archives as essential players in tomorrow’s technology ecosystem
- Empower professional staff in their efforts to build relationships between member institutions and individuals
- Build and maintain a strong Board of Trustees with stakeholders from the member community and other allied knowledge-based industries
- Foster an organizational culture that encourages creative and entrepreneurial approaches to the challenges facing libraries and information services organizations
- Position the organization to be able to seize unanticipated opportunities brought on by technological advancements and changing behaviors and needs of information seekers and users
- Represent NY library priorities and perspectives to media outlets
- Work with New York library systems directors to communicate the value of library systems legislators, potential funders, and new potential members
- Foster deep relationships with funding agencies and media to increase broad public understanding of the critical role played by libraries and information resources in modern American life
The ideal candidate will have strong leadership, motivational and communications skills, deep knowledge of library services and of digital and web-based technologies, ability to work with varied constituencies in the public and private sectors, vision and imagination, and entrepreneurial instincts.
The ideal candidate should hold or be eligible to hold a New York State Public Librarian Certificate, with appropriate professional and administrative experience.
Competitive salary and excellent benefits. METRO will also pay reasonable moving expenses if the candidate is from outside the New York metropolitan area.
Applicants can send a cover letter and resume or CV as a single PDF attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Executive Director” in the subject line.
Title: Library Director
Type of Appointment: Full-time
Qualifications: MLS or equivalent degree and 5 years relevant experience (see below)
The Library Director oversees all operations of the College Library. In concert with library staff, faculty,
program and department chairs and directors and the College Administration, the Library Director
develops the collection, services, policies and access to resources to support students, faculty and the
1. Coordinate, schedule and supervise library staff and where necessary, hire, train and support
new staff members for all three (3) College libraries striving for uniform access to library services
and resources across the various campuses.
2. Development and oversight responsibilities for a tri-campus library budget that includes:
a. developing an annual library budget and monitor it in ways that prudently use those
resources to most effectively serve students and the faculty.
b. oversight of library resources that support the academic objectives of College programs
of study. This support will include acquisitions (electronic, subscriptions, hard copies)
and appropriate purging of the collection.
c. ordering appropriate supplies, reference materials and the like in a timely and
economically sound fashion, balancing the needs of students with fiscal constraints.
3. Continually work to refine library collections that meet program objectives and larger
intellectual interests in a fiscally appropriate manner through regular collaboration with faculty
and professional staff.
4. Oversee all cataloguing, acquisitions, circulation and inter-library loan activities for the three (3)
5. Develop and deliver training for faculty and students on areas such as information literacy,
library resources, access, research and other as well as serve as a resource for students, faculty
and staff who may be unaware of that role.6. Maintain the Library website including regular updating of links and access for students and the
7. Foster a student-friendly, learner-centered environment.
8. Advocate for the library and its central role in the College.
9. Serve on College committees and participate in College Governance.
10. Develop and maintain a professional growth plan.
11. Remain current and up-to-date in all areas of library and information science.
12. Follow College policies and procedures promoting good relations with college employees,
students, parents, local community members, representatives and visitors.
13. Perform other duties as assigned.
* Master’s degree in Library Science (MLS) or equivalent degree required and 5 years library
experience, preferably in an academic library
* Experience with electronic resources, search and discovery tools, and library
management systems is preferred
* Experience with digital integrated library systems required
* Possess a comprehensive knowledge of academically relevant materials and resources, including
electronic databases and sources (journals, periodicals, etc.)
* Effectively work with diverse groups
* Strong organizational, written/verbal communication, and interpersonal skills
Send cover letter, resume and three names and contact information for professional references in a single pdf document to email@example.com. Salary commensurate with experience. Position open until filled. EOE/AAE.
------------If you are a library in the NNYLN's region and have a job vacancy announcement you would like posted here, please send your information, including CLOSING DATE for applications, to Regional Services Librarian Eric Alan, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Other sites for library employment information: